For a summertime celebration, come to the Detroit River on Monday, June 26, for the 59th annual Ford Fireworks to officially kick off summer in the city. With the theme of, “Detroit! Right Now!!,” the sky will be lit up with more than 10,000 fireworks highlighting the wonderful iconic skyline. The 25- minute show will begin at 9:55 p.m., but be sure to head into the city early for some pre-fireworks events.
If you’re hosting Thanksgiving dinner or are a guest who wants to bring a dish or gift to wow the crowd, here are a few places in Detroit to pick up your supplies:
- Eastern Market Tuesday Market: Just for Thanksgiving, Eastern Market will have a special Tuesday market, November 25th from 9am to 3pm. This is the perfect spot for picking up last minute fruits and vegetables, prepared foods, or table décor.
- The Mac Shack: Detroit’s most delicious macaroni and cheese is available in “take n bake” pans for the holidays, $30+ tax to feeds up to 15 people. Visit the Mac Shack Facebook page for ordering and pick up details
- Avalon International Breads: Midtown’s famous Avalon Bakery is the perfect place to pick up rolls for dinner, bread for stuffing, pies, cookies, and more.
- Detroit City Distillery: Stop in to Eastern Market’s Detroit City Distillery. Bringing a bottle of their homemade whiskey, bourbon, vodka, or gin is sure to make you the most popular guest at your holiday dinner!
- Motor City Wine: With an adjacent parking lot, it’s easy to swing by this Corktown wine shop for a great selection of well-priced wines.
- Bon Bon Bon: Hamtramck’s Bon Bon Bon chocolatier offers a wide variety of exotic flavor combinations like Bacon & Eggs and Gin & Juice. The shop is only open on Saturdays, so plan ahead or contact the shop to arrange an appointment.
- Chez Chloe: If you’re looking for a Thanksgiving dessert, a bit outside the ordinary, this Detroit baker has a whole line of custom lava cakes, including pumpkin spice. Visit the website for details on ordering (delivery only).
- Sweet Potato Sensations: Northwest Detroit’s own Sweet Potato Sensations serves up sweet potato pies, cakes, cheesecakes, and cookies. Call 313-532-7996 to order or visit their Facebook page for more information.
Gifts and Décor
- Fresh Cut Detroit: This Detroit florist raises her own flowers and greenery and is taking orders now for holiday centerpieces.
- Midtown Shopping District: If you’re in need of the perfect gift for the host/hostess, consider Midtown’s bustling retail corridor near the intersection of Cass Avenue and Canfield Street). This section of the neighborhood is home to several well-curated shops for the perfect gift at any price point. Be sure to stop in City Bird, Nest, Hugh, and Nora.