Every green-thumbed person’s favorite day is quickly approaching! Eastern Market’s 48th annual Flower Day event is next Sunday, May 18, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Stop by the market to pick up your favorite annuals, perennials, hanging baskets and so much more.
Flower day draws more than 200,000 people annually to Eastern Market, making it one of the largest flower shows in the country! Flower growers from Michigan and the surrounding areas will fill the market with more than 15 acres of plants and flowers.
Flower Day pick up/drop off services will be available in two locations: Wilkins St. at Russell St. and Alfred St. at Riopelle St. Shoppers can drop off their purchases at either location and pull their cars around to pick them up.
In addition to the array of plant life at the market, experts from the Greening of Detroit and the MSU Extension Master Gardeners will be answering your gardening questions from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
With over 200,000 people flocking to Eastern Market to spruce up their gardens or just to experience the tradition, Eastern Market’s Flower Day can seem a little overwhelming. Here are some helpful hints for your visit from DetroitEasternMarket.com:
1) There is plenty of free parking available throughout Eastern Market. The map in the Metro Times easily directs you in and out of the market.
2) Know ahead of time how much area that you have to plant and whether you need sun or shade plants to achieve your goal.
3) Ask your Flower Grower Questions! They grew the flowers for you and they know what you need to do to take care of them and keep them blooming.
4) Enjoy the wide variety of restaurants, stores and food. Your belly will thank you for caring.
5) Bring a wagon, to help transport your products.
6) Don’t rush … Take your time and smell the roses, marigolds, jasmine, herbs, etc. Enjoy the music and the people.
Are planning on going to Flower Day at Eastern Market? What do you plan on picking up?
*featured image courtesy of Ned Hardy*